I started these pillow covers during Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild's Habitat Challenge in late Summer of 2011, and around the same time, promised them to my sister for using on her brand-new dark brown leather couches (hence the choice of background colour). Not quite a year later, they're all done. Here's a collage* featuring them all, front and back:
*new feature in PicMonkey - I think I prefer Big Huge Labs' Mosaic Maker because I don't have to settle for a square arrangement.
There are two main themes in the designs - strips and wonky stars. I settled on two quilting designs, and used both for each theme. Aurifil 28wt in dark brown (5024) was my thread of choice.
Radiating lines from bottom corners
Random diagonal lines
The pillow covers finished at about 18" square. The backs used up nearly all my Habitat scraps plus a variety of browns from my stash. They also feature flaps to cover the zippers. I loosely followed this tutorial but basically worked out my own method which creates a flap with the fabric used for the top half of the pillow back.
Rather than batting I once again used Pellon Fusible Fleece (TP971F Fusible Thermolam Plus) - it is wonderful for pillow tops.
True story: I only have one 20" pillow form, so I had to remove the Crane Star cover and dress it up 4 different times to snap the photos on my upper deck (I love our view best when there's still some snow on the mountains).
I'll be delightedly linking up this finish to Sew Happy Geek's Manic Monday, Fabric Tuesday AND Ellison Lane's Summer Sewing Contest as well (all buttons/links in sidebar).