I quite liked the set of fabrics we were given, and I was hoping to combine this challenge with my goal of making each of my nieces/nephews a quilt this year, so that drove the size of my project as well as my choice of fabric to add.
I've been wanting to do something with triangles for a while, and I decided this was the time. After a successful test run with this pillow cover project, I was all set.
First, I cut the triangles and the smaller side triangles using my Tri-Recs ruler, and pieced them into two long strips using Kona Nautical Blue as my solid:
Then I added more strips of solids:
I cut the solid strips on the lengthwise grain, parallel to the selvage. That way, I didn't have to piece them.
For the quilting, I turned to my Aurifil stash, of course! First, I quilted some wavy lines the length of the quilt using my walking foot and some 28 weight thread in a very, very dark blue (2785). I love the texture it created. Then, around the triangles, I did some loopy loops in a dark grey 50-weight (5004).
The binding used the leftover bits of fabric and solid. The finished pre-washed size is about 50" x 78". All in all, I am really pleased with this finish! And it's another one of my Q1 FAL projects - on a roll, baby!