It's quite possible I may love the back as much as the front!
I used Rachel's Scruffily Quilt tutorial as a starting point, and changed the size of the pieces slightly, to 9, 6 and 3 inches square. Also, because I'm
Then the quilt sat for months while I pouted about my brilliant plan basically turning to poop. Hearing that Rose's baptism was planned for Easter gave me the encouragement I needed to solve my issue. And solve it I did, with the help of good ol' basting spray. I spray-basted those squares and free-motion "appliquilted" them on. Some of the squares are a little wobbly/wonky but I think it just adds to the quilt's charm. Yeah, that's the ticket! It's charming. Here it is "artfully" arranged under our skylight. Today was a cold, rainy, windy mess, so no outdoor shots!
Close up of the scruffy blocks.
This square is not as wonky as it looks - it's actually square but the quilt's drooping.
The fabrics are mostly Amy Butler Midwest Modern (Ohio Sky colourway) and Daisy Chain (Basil colourway). I think that olivey damask is maybe Joel Dewberry? The green/grey celtic knot that I also used for the binding is Celtic Inspirations by Fabric Visions Inc. The emerald green celtic knot fabric on the back is from JoAnn (cheapo).
I pieced AND quilted this with Aurifil 50/2 thread in a light grey. Because I'd pressed my seams open, I didn't want to stitch in the ditch between the main blocks, so I quilted a straight line 1/4" away from the seam on each side to stabilize the quilt before appliquilting.
This one might just be my favourite quilt I've ever made. I absolutely ADORE it. I just have to add the label (completely pieced with scraps - v. cute!) and package it up with her older brother's Birthday Banner and off to Maryland it will go.
A special thanks to my lovely, creative helpers at Workshop in Progress who helped me get to the perfect name for this lovely.